Xenon is an embedded media player that I designed and developed over a period of two months for use on set top boxes like Virgin TiVo, Western Digital etc.
The new player delivered significant improvements over the previous version, such as:
- Media load times were halved
- Video scrub times were 3-4 times faster
- Toggling between SD and HD was 3-4 times faster
- Subtitle load times were reduced from 30-40 seconds to 3-4 seconds
- 3x as many content delivery networks (CDNs) were supported
- ABR1 bitrate down-switching was added
- Memory usage was 3x more efficient
- The code base was approximately 50% smaller
Xenon is used by the iPlayer, Sport, News and Events apps and serves more than 1 million streams per week.
More information is available at www.bbc.co.uk/blogs.